What helped Dona get Band 8.5 in IELTS
Today I am happy to share the tips we received from Dona, a Sri-Lankan IELTS candidate, who got an amazing Band 8.5 (her Reading and Listening were both Band 9!)
“Just a few tips I would like to share.
For reading, I found it very helpful to read practice articles, those in past papers or even from other sources such as newspapers and textbooks. A lot of consistent reading and understanding any given articles goes a long way.
For listening, I think it is helpful to listen to a few recordings to practice and get into the flow and speed of the speaker. Keep an ear out for key words in the questions that would help you identify the answer.
For speaking, the most helpful thing to do is to keep speaking and interacting with people in English. Try to speak in a consistent flow, adding more complex words often. Try not to break your sentences and pause to think or hesitate. Keep speaking.
For writing, try to plan your essay. Allocate a certain number of words to each paragraph you plan on writing and have an idea of what the main idea of each paragraph will be.”
Our friends K and A who took IELTS exams in Armenia and Spain reported very similar topics:
Section 1. A phone conversation about house rent.
Section 2. About diving in Great Britain.
Section 3. About a building and it’s cooling and warming systems.
Section 4. About a company that was created by women in Africa.
Passage 1. Fish species found around New Zealand.
Passage 2. Archeological findings in Africa.
Passage 3. About what makes us happy.
Writing task 1 (a report)
We were given a bar chart, a line chart and a pie chart showing the number of students at university in years 1991 to 2001 in the UK, as well as government spending per student and the family budget of students in 2001.
Writing task 2 (an essay)
Some animal species such as dinosaurs and dodos become extinct because of natural processes. So, it is not necessary to try and prevent this from happening. Do you agree or disagree?
- Can you tell me your full name?
- Do you work or study?
- Would you recommend that job to others?
- What places of entertainment have you visited lately?
- What entertainment facilities are there in your city?
- What other places would you like there to be?
- Do you always take a bag with you when you go out?
- Do you always take the same bag, even to different occasions?
- What is important to you when you choose a bag?
Talk about a book you have read and would like to read again. Please say
- What book is it?
- What is it about?
- What did you learn from it?
- Explain why would you like to read it again?
- Do you think that men and women like to read the same type of books?
- Do you think that reading a book is more challenging than watching a movie based on the book?
- Why do you think some books become internationally popular?
- Do you think it is easy to create a movie based on a book?
آزمون آیلتس در ارمنستان و اسپانیا
تست واقعی آیلتس جنرال در انگلستان اکتبر 2011
تست اسپیکینگ آیلتس در استرالیا
IELTS test in Pakistan – October 2011 (Academic Module)
IELTS Speaking test in Melbourne, Australia – September 2011
IELTS test in Western Australia – September 2011 (Academic Module)
IELTS Speaking test in the UAE – September 2011
IELTS test in Melbourne, Australia – September 2011 (General Training)
IELTS Speaking test in the USA – September 2011
IELTS test in Algeria – September 2011 (General Training)
IELTS Tips from a Band 8.5 Scorer
IELTS test in Russia – September 2011 (Academic Module)
IELTS test in Taiwan – September 2011 (Academic Module)
IELTS Speaking test in Hyderabad India – August 2011